Friday, May 18, 2012

The Story of Ger In Ten Objects

100 or 10 items…what does it take to completely describe a person, a place or even the entire world?
The British Museum has featured an exhibit entitled The History of the World in 100 Objects. The exhibit is now a show on NPR. The objects include tools, pots, artwork, coins, weapons and even a solar lamp.  Each item reflects a particular achievement or other event of historical value.  Can we capture the world in 100 objects? Can I capture my life in a finite set of objects? Hmmmm…lots of different things come to mind. I would probably choose things that are connected to people as the priority for my list.

I will  start with my wedding bands, my own and my maternal grandmother’s which I wear together. My life as part of a couple shapes most of what I do every day. Marriage is joyous, fun  but also at times requires a bit of work, a lot of patience (never my strong suite), and love…love that fills your heart to the point of brimming but also love that sometimes needs to be nudged back to the surface.  Anyone who has ever been married will know that I am not being negative…I am being honest and simply being someone who is in love and wants to stay that way for many years to come. I never lost my individuality when I became a couple, I just added to it... and that addition has been tremendous and one for which I am truly grateful.

As I write this is it clear that my laptop is a must for this collection. It is how I do most of my writing, all of my research, and a significant means of my communication with family and friends.  It also reflects my job. I just left the freelance world which I wasn’t very good at (well not good at getting freelance work, once I got a job I was good at the work) and am now working for one organization. I do fundraising and program development with an international non-profit (no I am not a nurse as other’s thought based on my last post though I do work within healthcare).

Let’s add a bookshelf to this collection. I haven’t gone electronic yet with my books; I am sure that will happen soon enough but I doubt I would ever want to give up “real” books.  I love holding a book in my hands, I also have been known to write in books (gasp goes the crowd...the big crowd of about four people who will read this). Yes, I have been known to write in books of non-fiction. The bookshelf represents reading and learning, both of which are so important to me.

 Another contender for the exhibit would be an oversized antique steamer trunk. I store blankets in it but it would represent a connection to things past. If you read this blog then you know how important that connection is to me.  The steamer trunk was always in my basement when I was growing up; I am pretty sure my mother kept blankets in it as well.  I also believe that the trunk came from Italy with my paternal grandmother when she moved to America as a young bride. That must have been some adventure. 

Speaking of travel and adventure, my own passport will make this list as it would obviously reflect my love for travel but also my interest in other cultures…especially the food from other cultures! Is there such at thing as a food passport?  And along those lines I would include my dining room table; I love to entertain, especially love to have our family and extended families over for dinner.  It’s getting harder and harder to have all three kids over at the same time but it is fun when it does work out. The two boys have gotten into cooking so I have turned my kitchen over to them on occasion and that has worked out quite well!  Elizabeth, my (step)daughter doesn’t really even boil water but she is a doctor so she can afford to get take-out whenever she wants! Besides, working a 12 hour shift is not really conducive to coming home and cooking.


My husband’s desk would be a featured item. It reflects many things, not the least of which is my husband himself! It also reflects his tremendous work ethic, his actual job which has afforded me the ability to be unemployed at times. The desk also reflects intangibles as well such as the feeling of contentment that comes with those moments when we are both working from home, both computers going… sweet.

I have two crucifixes in my house that have great meaning for me. One comes from Peru, a gift from my father and the other from Brazil, a gift Elizabeth brought back from Semester-at-Sea. The connection to my faith and to the people who gave them to me is what makes them special.  Unfortunately the crucifixes are just so, well, Catholic, and my faith isn’t limited to the church I attend each Sunday. I grew up with the crucifix as THE symbol of my religion, grew up wearing one around my neck but the problem I have with the crucifix is that it doesn’t reflect the Risen Christ; it doesn’t reflect the amazing hope that comes only because of the Third Day. OH well, just the same, they are included as one object (I am counting them as one) in my Story of Ger in 10 Objects. I probably wouldn’t include a Bible despite its importance to me. I feel rather like a heretic making that admission. Much of what fills my soul in relation to the Bible comes from study, from commentary and books that put the Bible in context…now that is very Catholic


An item that definately represents fun is a beach tag, specifically a beach tag from the Erskine Lakes Property Owners Association—ELPOA. The tag lets me into a small lake a few “blocks” from my house (we don’t actually have blocks, or sidewalks for that matter, but you get the idea). I spent every summer of my childhood on/in/near this lake and it is the definition of home to me.  I am related to about 35 people within a few miles radius of my house.  I was a lifeguard on this lake way back in the day. Yep, definitely will include a beach tag in this exhibit.

So far I have included items that reflect my family (past and present), work, faith, fun…what else, what should I include for my tenth item? I JUST turned 51 years old so what would be appropriate would be my eye-glasses but those just depress me. Any other suggestions? What are some of your items?
You are welcome to visit the “exhibit” anytime by just walking around my house, you can come for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting list of life-defining objects! I found myself wanting to know more about the "now that is very Catholic" comment and about your summers on/in/near the lake especially. Your style is welcoming, comfortable. Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete