Monday, May 14, 2012

R is for many things


Reaction, Realization, Response and Redemption

As I was getting myself ready for this most recent trip to Haiti I blundered into some huge mistakes, on my part and on someone else’s, but in the end that latter really wasn’t what mattered.  I am working for a new organization and I don’t have relationships with the folks I would be meeting with /working with throughout my trip. I began to exchange emails with the primary person I would be dealing with once I arrived in Haiti. I was going to work with her on behalf my organization…we will call her H and my organization Morg.  H is Haitian though lived some of her life in the States; she is well educated and a  leader of an organization in Haiti. And at first she seemed somewhat eager to meet with me.  I was going to help her develop partnerships with other NGOs (nongovernmental organizations) as well as with the US government in Haiti.

So in typical American fashion I began my relationship with an email. Then followed up with another email that included a list of info I needed for my trip along with a bunch of requests for info or actions that I needed H to do.  And in typical Haitian fashion I didn’t hear back for several days…and again in typical American fashion I shot back another email asking if she got the first email and where was she on my list (more or less) and in typical Haitian fashion she responded a few days later indicating that she was working on things…then she went radio silence for another week.

In addition to partner development I was going down to see firsthand the program and gather some info to bring back to the new director of the Morg.  The organization I am working with helps fund H’s work which is a nursing school.  I had traveled to Haiti before and over the past seven years have traveled to other developing countries as well.  In most of my travels my colleagues or contacts “in-country” always made most if not all of my in-country arrangements: places to sleep, transport to/from airport, transport around the country, set up meetings, etc.   So naturally I assumed this would be the case this time as well, naturally.


I continued to send H emails with the list of “my needs” for the trip and again assumed she was on board.  And again days would past before I would receive any response; whatever response I did get was never complete. H would pick one or at most two questions for a response.  As an American I am used to getting email responses back with hours if not minutes and having each email respond to completely; even if all items couldn’t be answered, most American responders would note that they were working everything and often indicate when things would be complete. 

Two nights before I was to leave I began to feel like something was wrong…I hadn’t heard back about most of my questions including questions about my “accommodations.”…Hello H, can you PLEASE (yes in caps) respond to this email, with Please respond as the subject line…lovely.  Was I getting picked up at the airport and where was I staying?  I received very short response from H the guest house picks you up from the airport…Uh, what guest house?…Hello H, WHAT GUEST HOUSE? DID YOU MAKE MY ACCOMODATIONS????  Well maybe not both bold and underlined but definitely capitalized. 

A very short response…I didn’t make your reservations…ahhhh.  And, if you are not guessing already, this is where things really fell apart. 

I checked with other colleagues in the States…did they think she was supposed to make my guest house reservation?  Yes they did. What is with this chick…I am coming down TO HELP HER for crying out loud!  Why wasn’t she immensely grateful and the least she could have done was make my guest house reservations. Great attitude uh? .

A couple more emails…from me…PLEASE make the reservations, from her…here is the info to do so, not my job (more or less). From me to my boss…can you believe this chick, why isn’t she doing her job…another email from me about the reservations and  well, lets just say her response wasn’t pretty pretty…no not pretty at all.

(Insert here the sound of a car hitting the brakes)….ok, we need to take a pulse here, what is really going on. The following morning I got a call from H’s boss, an American who helped me understand some of my cultural transgressions. She was extremely gracious and apologetic. Some poor communication and culture issues clashed to create a real mess. She helped me step out the issues.

First of all, my goal of “helping” H was never really explained to her…all she knew was that I worked for Morg and was coming down. As I mentioned, H is the dean of a nursing school in Haiti and as such is extremely busy.  She is also extremely well respected both in Haiti and in the States.  My transgression # 1: asking her, a leader, a Dean, to make arrangements for me was extremely condescending in her opinion and especially in her culture. It came across as an arrogant American treating her like some sort of flunky. Ouch.

Transgression 2. Not really explaining to her my role and some changes that Morg was pursing. H’s job has never really entailed fundraising or partnership development. Morg is changing its expectations of its partners which now includes an expectation that our in-country partners increase their role with fundraising….  Transgression 3 was cultural. I know this may sound awful but it is very Haitian to assume that Americans will take care of the details with projects like arrangements, etc. It comes from years and years of Americans basically telling them what to do. Americans and others have been pouring money into Haiti and basically telling them what to do with it rather than helping them come up with their own solutions.  It’s a complicated and long history which includes colonization, a few wars, US occupation of the island and a boat load of  oppression from a lot of sources including the US.  Transgression 4 also cultural. H prides herself on knowing a great many people throughout Haiti, important people.  I sent her a list of people/agencies that we needed to connect with.  H didn’t know any of the people I wanted us to meet with…that didn’t faze me. I actually assumed she didn’t know them…the idea was to help her develop new relationships ( I knew the agencies but not the specific in-country people).   But from her perspective I pointed out that she didn’t know some “important” people…this shamed and angered her.  My organization helps to fund her organization and in her eyes I was pointing out her weak areas; I embarrassed her…doesn’t matter if it makes sense to me or not. What matters is that I insulted her big time.  Oye!

If Haitians are not comfortable with a situation, especially with Americans, they may tend to ignore the questions or simply say yes and hope it all goes away. As time went on and I wasn’t getting info back from H about the schedule for meetings and other arrangements I became increasingly frustrated. So I decided to set the meetings up myself…and told her so…again more frustration and more emails and  a lot less relationship building.

I approached this assignment in typical American fashion, develop a list, get the list out to people who needed to do some tasks on the list and send it all out via email and expected quick and efficient responses.  Chop Chop

Well chop chop is not not Haiti or Haitians.  It’s a slower pace and a slower world. The internet is iffy and email isn’t always available. It isn’t part of their culture to reply immediately, sometimes days or a week can go by before you hear back. 

I needed to redeem myself…I needed to stop reacting and begin to realize what was really going on. It was critical that I recall my own redemption and what that meant for my life. I apologized, I packed some chocolates as a peace offering, I turned off the New York speed and tried to slow things down. And most importantly I altered the purposed of my trip…I become the learner, the follower. There will be other times when I can set the pace (hopefully) but not this first time.

I am writing this in the airport on my Haiti.  We’ll see how it goes.  Be fluid, that is the phrase I was told would make any trip to Haiti easier…

No comments:

Post a Comment